Master of Science Cybersecurity 30 Credits | School of Liberal Arts | Bronx, Dobbs Ferry, Manhattan & Online
Information systems and computer networks are under constant attack from hackers, viruses and worms. The Cybersecurity Master of Science degree prepares students with the technical and analytical skills to secure data files, defend computers, shield computer networks and protect critical national electronic infrastructure.
Students can pursue careers as: network security administrators, information security administrators or IT auditors and many other positions.
Students in the cybersecurity program can pursue careers as:
- Information system security officer
- Network security administrator
- Information security analyst
- Forensic analyst
- IT auditor
- Information system governance officer
- Information assurance engineer
- Information assurance analyst
Career outcomes are expected to rise
32% through 2028*
For information security analysts
in the New York region
Total Credits to Earn Your Degree
Classes in forensic computing, wireless communication & security and applied cryptography
What We Offer
The Mercy Advantage
- Take courses on-campus, online or a hybrid of the two
- The program is offered fully online
- The National Security Agency (NSA) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) recruit directly from our programs
Students who graduate with a Master’s degree in Cybersecurity should be able to:
- List the fundamental concepts of information assurance and cyber defense.
- Identify the vulnerabilities in network infrastructures, and monitor the attack activities.
- Describe proactive/reactive protocols, tools and techniques, apply the countermeasures.
- Produce secure software components and perform software security analysis.
- Describe cryptographic protocols, tools and techniques and apply crypto algorithms.
- List applicability of laws and policies and describe the compliances and their impacts.
5-Year B.S./M.S. Cybersecurity Program
Our Dual Degree Program in Cybersecurity provides talented students the opportunity to complete both their bachelor’s and master’s degree in only five years. Graduates of this challenging but rewarding dual program go on to take leadership positions in business and in the government.
Mercy College has partnered with the NYU Tandon Bridge Program to provide students without a background in science or computers a path toward earning their M.S. in Cybersecurity or M.S. in Computer Science degree.
Designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the academic requirements?
Graduates from other fields will be accepted provided they complete the following prerequisite courses prior to starting the graduate program: Local Area Networks, Database Management Systems, Cryptography and Computer Security, Operating Systems, and Statistics.
If I have an associate’s degree, could I take the accelerated program?
Yes. For specifics on transferred credits please speak to program director.
English isn’t my native language. Is there an English language requirement?
You must demonstrate proficiency in English. That means reading, writing, speaking and an understanding of the spoken language at a graduate level. Proficiency will be determined by a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a test(s) approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies.
Program Details & Curriculum
Cybersecurity Core: 6 Credits
Application Category: 3 credits
Network Category: 3 credits
Legal/Management Category: 3 credits
Special Category: 3 credits
Major Electives: 9 credits
Capstone: 3 credits
Total: 30 Credits
30 credits are required to earn an M.S. in Cybersecurity. The courses are listed below. The Master’s Project (IASP 600) is optional. Students who successfully complete a Master’s Project (IASP 600) may obtain approval from the program head to complete a Master’s Thesis (IASP 601).
Program Application Requirements
Requirements for admission to the Cybersecurity program include:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Letter of Recommendation