School of Health & Natural Sciences

Communication Disorders
Bachelor's Degree

Want a career that's growing? Speech-language pathology is. What's more, shortages of qualified personnel abound. So now's a great time to consider becoming a Speech Pathologist. And Mercy College's undergraduate Communication Disorders (CD) (same as speech-language pathology/audiology) program is the premier Bachelor of Science (BS) program in the metropolitan New York area. You've come to the right place.

The CD program’s mission is to combine a solid liberal arts and sciences foundation with an introduction to CD theory and clinical experience. We welcome students from all fields of study, from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.

Through "learning by doing” and with a faculty comprised of speech-language pathologists and audiologists, the program prepares you for graduate study in CD, education, special education, teaching the deaf and hearing impaired, psychology, and social work.

Students with a bachelor's degree and the required prerequisite courses can directly apply to the MS degree program. A master's degree is mandatory for entry level into the profession of speech-language pathology. As of 2007, a doctoral degree will be mandatory as entry level for practice in audiology.

"The education, clinical experience, and incredible support that I received as an undergraduate student from the faculty and from my peers in the Communication Disorders program far exceeded my expectations. I feel that my experience has prepared me with the necessary knowledge and confidence to succeed in the graduate program."
Michele Weisblatt, '09

Career Opportunities

Careers in Communication Disorders include: speech-language pathologist, audiologist, speech and hearing scientist, language scientist and NYS Education Department Teacher of Students with Speech-Language Disabilities (TSSLD). (Note: This certification requires a master's degree in CD and additional academic and clinical experience, workshop attendance in education, and completion of a student teaching experience, prior to application to the New York State Education Department.)
"It is has been an honor being an undergraduate student in the Mercy College Communication Disorders program. The faculty's knowledge and expertise create an environment of support and warmth that is conducive to learning. One of the best things about attending Mercy as an undergraduate and now a graduate student, is the continued benefit of that warmth and support. The staff at Mercy college are truly like family and have helped me become a better student, mother and future clinician."
Antoinette Horrisland , '09


Dobbs Ferry

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the speech-language pathology and/or audiology requirements?
Generally, a graduate degree in speech-language pathology, audiology, communication disorders, communication science and disorders or speech and hearing sciences. The degree includes academic coursework and clinical practicum, and culminates in eligibility for certification by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). Most states, including New York, require licensure.
What career options are available?
There’s no shortage of career options, from schools, hospitals, clinics, long-term care facilities, private practice to college or university settings. Our students have a 100% success rate in finding employment upon graduation. For a free brochure about the profession, contact ASHA at 10801 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852 or
How competitive are the graduate programs?
Highly competitive. Students must excel at the undergraduate level overall and in the major courses with an overall GPA of 3.2 in the undergraduate record or GPA of 3.2 in the last two years.
How can I get clinical experiences as an undergraduate in CD?
You'll learn diagnostic testing and treatment techniques in a variety of pediatric and adult communication disorders through both academic and clinical experience. You’ll be closely supervised.
Are there CD-related clubs or organizations on campus?
Mercy College has a chapter of the National Student Speech, Language & Hearing Association (NSSLHA) which is the student branch of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association . The Club is centered on educational, social and fundraising activities, and offers students who will enter the field access to a national network. Benefits include attendance opportunities to conventions, lectures, field trips, and meetings.
How can I find out information about the New York City teacher scholarships program to earn a bachelor's or master's degree in a critical shortage area?
Visit Teach NYC, click on speech pathology undergraduate or graduate.