Imagine playing a key role in the global economy. Through Mercy College’s Spanish Program, you could be. With more than 40 million Hispanics in the US today, the demand for bilingual employees, fluent in both Spanish and English, has grown exponentially over the last decade.
Coursework in this program will provide you with the language skills as well as the literary, cultural, and historic understanding you need to become attractive to national or international employers.
The School of Liberal Arts offers students a major concentration in Spanish Language and Literature (B.A.). Additionally, in collaboration with the Division of Education, students may pursue a program in Foreign Languages/Secondary Education which prepares them for a teaching career at the secondary level. Students who complete these degrees enjoy a significant competitive edge in the job market, with excellent opportunities to travel, relocate, or obtain high-paying jobs right here in our region.
Representative career opportunities exist in business, government, healthcare, law enforcement, education, technology, the military, communications, translation, social service, and marketing.
Dobbs Ferry and Bronx. The Major concentration in Spanish is also available entirely online.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the pre-requisites for this program?
- There are none. However, fluency in Spanish, or at least an excellent working knowledge of the language, is extremely helpful.
- How quickly can I complete the program?
- That depends on your ability, if you’re transferring credits from another school or program, or if you are pursuing teacher certification.
- Do you offer night and/or weekend courses?
- Yes. Major courses are usually offered Monday through Friday after 5 pm.
- Is the program only for prospective language teachers?
- No. Fluency in Spanish offers students a competitive edge in any field of employment.