Advantages for Scandinavian Students
Mercy College welcomes Scandinavian students and enjoys the academic and cultural contributions that they make on campus. In an effort to streamline the admissions process, we offer several unique advantages for students from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland.
1. Sophomore Status for Undergraduates
- Scandinavian students with an upper-secondary diploma are granted sophomore status, which means that you can complete your degree in three years. Students from Norway are considered eligible for full Lanekassen funding.
2. TOEFL Waiver
- Norway: With a grade of a 4 or higher in your Vitnemal English class, your TOEFL requirement will be waived.
- Sweden: With a grade of a VG ("C" on the new scale) or higher in your Slutbetyg English class, your TOEFL Requirement will be waived.
- Denmark, Finland, Iceland: After the review of your application, you may be eligible for a TOEFL waiver.
3. Foreign Transcripts for Admission
- A foreign academic credential evaluation is not required. Mercy College can make an admissions decision using your official secondary and/or university transcripts.
4. SAT/GRE/GMAT Optional
- Mercy College is SAT/GRE/GMAT optional. We understand that it may be difficult to travel to a testing center and that the exams may only be offered a few times per year. Most importantly, we consider your final average and supplemental documents to be more important than just a single exam.
5. Lanekassen, CSN and Government Funding Friendly
- We are familiar with the requirements of Lanekassen, CSN and other government programs. We provide a custom acceptance letter to make sure you meet the necessary requirements for funding.
Although we would love for you to complete your entire degree at Mercy College, we also accept visiting students who want to study abroad! Many Scandinavian students complete their Bachelor's degree in their home country but spend their second year abroad in the United States. We can help you register for eligible courses and will give you a custom acceptance letter that states all of your courses so you can easily secure government funding.
Please refer to the International Admissions webpage for details on application guidelines. Contact Sonya Brauchle, Associate Director of International Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.