Fire Safety Information
Learn more about how to stay safe in a fire
- Know the location of emergency exits
- When you hear the fire alarm evacuate the building immediately, even if you believe it may be a false alarm
- Move well away from the doors of the building
- Failure to evacuate during a fire alarm will result in a $50 fine
- Do not prop open hallway doors which have automatic closing devices. Automatic closing doors are designed to prevent the spread of fire
Initiating a false fire report or tampering with fire equipment is illegal, very dangerous and will result in criminal prosecution.
Fire Safety Tips
- Before opening a door, feel near the top for heat. If it is cool, open it slowly
- If smoke is present, close the door and use another route
- Always close the door behind you to limit the spread of fire and smoke
- If you must go through heat or heavy smoke, crawl on the floor because heat and smoke rise
- If you become trapped, stuff a sheet or jacket under the door to keep out the smoke
- Open a window and yell for help. If there is a phone, call Campus Safety at x 7225
If a Fire Alarm Sounds
- Exit the building quickly, but do not run
- Do not stop to collect valuables
- Use normal exits if you can, but never use an elevator
- You must exit the building and stay clear of all roadways
Do not re-enter the building until you have been given permission by a Campus Safety officer or the Fire Department.
Report any suspicious activity immediately.
Emergency situation (Staffed 24/7)
(914) 674-9999 or x9999
Non-emergency situation (Staffed 24/7)
Dobbs Ferry - (914) 674-7225
Non-emergency situation (Staffed during work hours)
- Bronx - (718) 678-8983
- Manhattan - (212) 615-3319
- Yorktown - (914) 455-2174
- The Department of Campus Safety is located in Main Hall 234 and is open 5 days a week from 9 am - 5pm.
- The Command Center in Founders Hall is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.