Get More Info

What is a Visa

This is the travel document that allows you into the U.S. The visa is issued to do a certain activity for a certain period of time.



Visa Issuance

The Department of State is the government agency that issues or denies your visa. Its agencies are commonly known as Embassies and Consulates

Renewing Your F-1 Visa

The F-1 visa is a travel document. You are able to remain in the U.S. with an expired visa.  If you wish to travel outside of the U.S. during your studies, then you will need to return to your home country to renew your F-1 visa.  To renew your visa, you will need the following

  • Valid Passport (should be valid 6 months into the future)
  • Copy of $200 SEVIS fee receipt (I-901)
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
  • Photo for DS-160 Application
  • DS-160 Application fee payment receipt
  • All previous Form I-20s
  • Financial Sponsorship Documents (No older than 3 months)
  • Proof of intent to depart the U.S. upon completion of your studies
  • Official transcript from Mercy College and any other schools you have attended as an F-1 student

We recommend renewing your F-1 visa when you have a holiday break from your studies.  Be sure to allow enough time for any possible visa processing delays.  Once you have successfully renewed your F-1 visa, please provide a copy to International Student Services.

You can review more information about renewing your F-1 visa here,