Master of Science Computer Science 30 Credits | School of Liberal Arts | Bronx, Dobbs Ferry, Manhattan & Online
Computer Science Overview
The Computer Science Master of Science degree equips students with cutting edge knowledge and tools to solve data science and software development problems. The program starts by providing fundamental computer science theories that make skilled practice possible.
Choose from concentrations in data science or software development to pursue a career that best fits your interests. Data scientists and software developers receive comparable salaries.
Students can pursue careers as:
- Data scientists - Analyze data and solve problems using the scientific method
- Software developers - Create user-focused apps, games and more.
Salary expected to rise
21% through 2028*
For software developers
in the New York region
Total Credits to Earn Your Degree
Classes in operating systems, website
administration & computer architecture
What We Offer
The Mercy Advantage
• Take courses on-campus, online or a hybrid of the two
• The program is offered fully online
• Full-time or part-time enrollment
• Complete the program in one year with full-time enrollment
Students will graduate prepared to design, develop, test and evaluate software. Students are trained to be in charge of the design, development, testing, and evaluation of software.
Students will acquire cutting-edge skills in the mathematical methods of data science, computational data analysis, machine learning, deep learning and applications in big data.
Across industries organizations are increasingly relying on data to make decisions. To manage all this data requires expertise not only in machine learning but also programming for data science and computing methods for big data.
Mercy College has partnered with the NYU Tandon Bridge Program to provide students without a background in science or computers a path toward earning their M.S. in Cybersecurity or M.S. in Computer Science degree.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does earning a degree take?
Full-time - 1 year
Part-time - 2 years
Are department faculty available for academic advising?
Yes, faculty are always ready to help students with questions about what courses to take, the sequencing of courses, and career opportunities, including internships and cooperative education.
Do you offer night and weekend classes?
Yes, some evenings and weekends at the Dobbs Ferry and Bronx campuses.
English isn't my native language. Is there an English language requirement?
You must demonstrate proficiency in English. That means reading, writing, speaking and an understanding of the spoken language at a graduate level. Proficiency will be determined by a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a test(s) approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies.
Foundation Courses: 9 Credits
Major Courses (based on area of specialization): 12 credits
Two Electives: 6 credits
Capstone: 3 credits
Total: 30 Credits
Academic Program Sequence Map
Download a copy of the sequence map for:
Program Application Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree - GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Letter of recommendation – At least one letter of recommendation that provides evidence of personal and/or professional qualifications for graduate study.
For all students in the M.S. program in Computer Science:
Students who graduate with a Master’s in Computer Science should be able to:
- Communicate computer science concepts, designs, and solutions effectively and professionally
- Develop efficient and effective algorithmic solutions to real-world problems
- Analyze and evaluate the complexity and computability of solutions to real-world problems
For students in the Software Development specialization:
- Design, develop and test complex programs
For students in the Data Science specialization:
- Mine, analyze, and visualize data
- Solve real-world problems by applying principles of computing intelligence and data analytics