Veterans 10 Steps to Success

US flag

10 Steps to Success

10 steps to success in college our military students, veterans and family dependents can use to ensure that the transition into college life is smooth and successful.





Contact US. 
We are here for you. Contact Mercy University to learn more about our affiliation with the Army and Air Force ROTC:



You will need to gather the following documents to submit to Mercy University:

  • Copy of your DD-214 - If you have misplaced or lost your original DD-214, you can request another copy from the National Archive and Records Administration for your own records.
  • Certificate of Eligibility
  • Your High School and College Transcripts
  • Military Transcript(s) - Mercy University values the experience and training you received during your military service and will assist with the transfer of credits. Military transcripts can be requested at: 
    • Joint Services Transcript (JST) - Your are eligible for a JST if you served in the: Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps or Navy or are Active Duty, Reserve or Veteran
    • Air Force: The Community College of the Air Force - CCAF automatically captures training, experience and standardized test scores. Transcript information is available on the CCAF website.





Determine your Eligibility for Federal Benefits.

Visit the US Department of Veterans Affairs website.





Apply for Federal Benefits.

Visit the US. Department of Veterans Affairs website.





Determine your Eligibility for New York State Benefits.

Visit the website of the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) for eligibility information or contact HESC at 1-888-697-4372.





Apply for New York State Benefits at Mercy University

Complete the New York State Tuition Award Supplement or contact HESC at 1-888-697-4372.





Register for Class

Once you have received your acceptance to Mercy University, your Student Services counselor will advise you on course selections, assist you in registering for classes and ensure that you have all the support necessary to succeed as a Mercy University student.





Connect with Fellow Mercy University Student Veterans

Our current student veterans at Mercy University want to help you make the transition from the battlefield to the classroom as smooth as possible. It is not easy and they have been through it before you. Join Veterans of Mercy, a chapter of Student Veterans of America (SVA).






Military Activation/ Return to Duty

If you are recalled to military duty, you will not be penalized for withdrawing from Mercy University. Follow these steps:

  • Contact your command and obtain a written record of your "Call to Duty"
  • Contact the Mercy University Department of Veterans Affairs to assist you in withdrawing from the semester. You will need to provide a copy of your "Call to Duty" orders to be able to refund your cost of tuition
  • Contact the Registrar's Office (1-877-MERCY-GO) to notify them of your "Call to Duty"
  • Once your withdrawal form and termination certification have been processed, contact the Bursar's Office to confirm that your billing has been updated.