Dr. Chen is a professor in the department of Math & Computer Sciences at Mercy College in New York. He is the director of the Cyber Education Center since 2019. Formerly, he was serving the director of the NSA CAE IAE (2011-2013) and the department chair from 2014-2019.
Before joining Mercy in 2003, he has worked at IBM T J Watson Research Center and IBM Pittsburgh Research Lab as a senior research scientist for over six years. His research was on Autonomic Computing, Network-Health Monitoring and Transaction Server Interoperability. He also worked as assistant professor in Shanghai Jiao Tong University from 1989 to 1992.
Dr. Chen holds CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) and is leveled as a senior member both in the IEEE and ACM, the largest organizations on technology and science in the US and in the world.
Dr. Chen has published around 50 peer reviewed journal and conference papers. His recent research interest is centered at bot identification and benefits vs risks. He is also doing research on data exploration, data security, information assurance and network science.
Dr. Chen holds a PhD in Mathematics and MS in Computer Science from the University of Pittsburgh, and MS and BS in Mathematics from Shanghai Jiao Tong University. His PhD dissertation is about Neuronal Modeling and his CS Master thesis is about Compiled Parallel Computing and MS Master thesis is on soliton systems.
Ph.D. and M.S., University of Pittsburgh
M.A. and B.A., Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Dr. Chen has published around 50 peer reviewed journal and conference papers (check google scholar and research gate). His recent research interest is centered at bot identification and benefits vs risks. He is also doing research on data exploration, data security, information assurance and network science.
The PASS - Personal Archive Service System developed is such an application for personal credentials while the RealID developed is for more general ID for internet of things.
- Served as a panelist of the NSF CISE Cross-Cutting CiC TC Panel Review, Arlington, VA, September 2010.
- Served as a member of the College Expert Group to New York State Cyber Security Advisory Board, Created by Governor Andrew Cuomo, 05/2013.
- Got various service certificates for the IEEE Services Congress from 2010 to 2017: Services Contest Chairs, Education Summit Chairs, Session Chairs, International Service Chairs, etc.
- Serving as the program chair for the 2020 International Conference on Blockchain (ICBC2020).
- Led a symposium of Math Education Redesign for Student Engagement and Success, on Nov 17, 2017, at New York.
- Served various editorial boards and reviewers such as IEEE Access, IEEE Network Magazine, International Journal of Web Services, etc.
- Visiting Scholar, CAIP, Rutgers University, June 1, 2004 – August 30, 2004.
- IACBP Fellow, Information Networking Institute, CMU, July 11, 2011 – July 22, 2011.
- IBM Skills Academy, June, 2019 - present
- Fudan Fellow, Fudan University, September 1, 2019 – November 30, 2019
~50 Peer Reviewed Journal and Conference papers
Check google Scholar for papers and citations, either click the three little cycle link on the right side panel or use the link: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=hVDIMPMAAAAJ
Developed and taught the following courses in Cybersecurity:
- Social Media: Enabling Technology and Security (IASP565)
- Topics in Cybersecurity (IASP500)
- IT Security Auditing and Compliance (IASP580)
- Digital Forensics (IASP530)
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (IASP520)
- Cryptography (CISC385 – IASP585)
- Cryptanalysis (IASP585)
- Research Methodology and Capstone Project (IASP470)
- Special Topics: Services Computing (IASP590)
Developed and taught the following courses in Computer Science:
- Big Data (CISC560)
- Foundation of Computation I/II (Python and Java) (SCI131/231)
- Computer Network I/II (CISC257/335)
- Web Architecture and Security (CISC359)
- Software Engineering (CISC471)
- Healthcare Analytics and Appl Development (CISC430)
- Artificial Intelligent (CISC339)
- System Analysis and Design
- Web Design Principles
- Web Programming
- Advanced Web Architecture and Development
Developed and taught the following courses in Mathematics:
- Statistics (MATH122)
- College Algebra in Smart Math Format (flipped class) (MATH116)
- Calculus I/II/III (MATH260, MATH261, MATH360)
- Number Theory (MATH307)
- Linear Algebra (MATH315)
- Numerical Analysis using Matlab (MATH329)
- Differential Equations (MATH362)
- Mathematical Modeling (Capstone Project) (MATH417)
Offered Collaborative Teaching
- PI, Department of Defense (DoD), IASP (H98230-18-1-0304), 09/2018 – 09/2019, $80,553.00.
- Member, National Science Foundation (NSF), Big Data Northeast Spokes, the Inquiry Group Planning Grant, 1636736, 08/2016, $84,748.00.
- Co-Director for Mercy College, National Science Foundation (NSF), BD Hubs NORTHEAST, 250 personnel over 100 organizations, across 9 states, 1550284, 09/2015, $2,129,350.00.
- PI, Department of Defense (DoD), IASP (H98230-12-1-0433), June 2012 – June 2013, $26,399.00.
- PI, National Institute of Health (NIH), ERADA 642042-3945, 2004-2005, $5998.
- PI, Mercy Summer Research Grant (Faculty-Student, June-August, 2020), $8800.00.
- 14 awards from 2005 - 2020 on Faculty Development Grants, fund ranging from $2000 to $5000
- Three(3) awards from 2015 - 2020 on Teaching Innovation Grants, fund ranging from $1800 to $4200.