Master of Science Educational Studies 30 Credits | School of Education | Bronx, Dobbs Ferry, Manhattan & Online
Become an education expert, learn the skills you will need to tackle our complex education questions.
For students who are interested in earning their master's degree in education, but who do not need New York teaching certification, the M.S. in Education offers three tracks:
- Early Education
- Secondary Education
Many charter or private schools require a master's degree only - check with your local administrator to determine if your school requires certification.
In this program, students complete a thesis course, not student teaching and are also exempt from the New York State certification tests.
- Private school teacher
- Charter school teacher
- Early childhood administration
- Children’s publishing and media
- Children’s library or literacy services
- Educational policy, advocacy, and government
- Preparation for doctoral study
- Children’s museum directors
- Summer camps and youth sports leaders
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Charter school management or educational professional development services
Student pursue concentrations
in early childhood, secondary
education or literacy
a thesis course and are
exempt from certification tests
Total Credits to Earn Your Degree
Classes in educational foundations,
assessments & educational evolution
What We Offer
The Mercy Advantage
- Strong relationships with elementary and secondary schools across New York City and Westchester
- Over 64,000 alumni network
- Some courses completely online
- National accreditation by NCATE & CAEP
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I do with this degree?
The degree could also be useful in relation to various education-related careers; including early childhood administration; children's publishing and media; children's library or literacy services; educational policy, advocacy and government; preparation for doctoral study; children's museum directors; summer camps and youth sports leaders; not-for-profit organizations; charter school management; or educational professional development services.
Will this degree allow me to teach in a public school setting in New York?
Because the degree does not lead to certification, it will not qualify you to teach in a public school setting in New York.
Will I be able to self-certify after finish?
Coursework completed through this program could be used toward self-certification through New York's individual pathway if this option is available for the teaching endorsement being sought. However, it will not meet all academic requirements needed for certification and completion of this program alone will not make you eligible for teacher certification through the self-certification pathway.
Program Details & Curriculum
Coursework includes a 9-credit foundation core. Students may then choose an 18-credit concentration in: Early Education, Secondary Education, or Literacy. A 3-credit capstone thesis course is required at the end of the program. The program includes elective choices allowing substantial focus on the individual's area of interest, and builds up to a creative yet practical, individualized research project.
Please note that this degree does not lead to New York State teaching certification.
- Required Courses: 9 Credits
- Courses in 1 of 3 Tracks: 18 Credits
- Additional Electives: 9 Credits
- Final Course: 3 Credits
- Total: 30 Credits
Individuals with at least a baccalaureate degree may seek this master's degree if they are interested in career advancement or employment in education-related fields.
- Official transcript - Bachelor's degree
- 3.00 GPA
- Effective Educator Statement
Academic Sequence Maps
- 2020-2021 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track
- 2020-2021 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track (online)
- 2020-2021 M.S. Educational Studies - Literacy Track
- 2019-2020 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track
- 2019-2020 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track (online)
- 2019-2020 M.S. Educational Studies - Literacy Track
- 2018-2019 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track
- 2018-2019 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track (online)
- 2018-2019 M.S. Educational Studies - Literacy Track
- 2017-2018 M.S. Educational Studies - Early Education Track
- 2017-2018 M.S. Educational Studies - Literacy Track