The Mercy College Clinically-Rich Intensive Teacher Institute in English to Speakers of Other Languages (CR-ITI ESOL) Program
Certified NYCDOE teachers can earn an additional NYS certificate in ESOL Pre-K - 12 within one year and at a substantially reduced tuition rate. Located at the Mercy College Bronx Campus, this clinically-rich program offers teachers a pathway to ESOL certification, with the goal of addressing the shortage of NYC teachers in English as a Second Language/English as a New Language.
Who Can Apply?
- All initially, and professionally, certified NYCDOE teachers
- Teachers interested in earning an additional certificate in ESOL in Pre-K - 12 grade levels
- Teachers committed to teaching ESOL for two years
Some courses are offered fully online on Blackboard. Online training for Blackboard use is provided to the candidates.
All courses include the integration of technology as a mode of course delivery and as a demonstrated teaching technique.
Candidates will complete five 3-credit courses at the Bronx Campus and online.
- EDUC 504 - Cultural Perspectives and the Teaching-Learning Process
- EDUC 505 - Teaching English as a Second Language
- EDUC 636 Methods and Materials of Teaching English as a Second Language through the Content Areas Pre-K – 12
- EDUC 629 Modern English Structure and the Teaching of English
- EDUC 707 Mentoring Seminar in TESOL
Credits can be transferred to the M.S. in TESOL Program at Mercy College if candidates wish to pursue the degree program.