STEM Scholars in Biology
A five-year grant from The National Science Foundation's Scholarship Program in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
We are one of four partner institutions participating in the grant. Through the grant Mercy College will provide up to 18 scholarships with as much as $10,000* per year to incoming first-year biology students.
Our goal is to increase the number of talented biology majors who go on to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in a broad range of scientific endeavors.
*Average scholarship is approximately $6,000.
- US Citizenship
- Must have financial need
- Minimum 3.0 high school GPA
- Be enrolled as a full-time and first-year student
- Intend to enroll in Biology
- Students receive a high-quality laptop computer for use thought the program
- STEM-focused freshmen "CATALYST" program designed to enhance community building and facilitate student success
- Personalized faculty and peer mentoring program
- All inclusive travel to annual SSB Institute in Washington, DC with scholars from partner schools
- STEM opportunities, including faculty-student research/project-based learning as well as a seminar series by scientists
- Graduate school/career preparation
Meet Carla Barahona
Carla Barahona ’22 knew Mercy College was the place for her when she came to campus. “At first I wasn’t sure, but after visiting campus and talking to professors and students I was really convinced,” said Barahona.
What stood out for her was the strong Mercy community. “Everyone seemed so unified. We were all motivated and even if we’re doing different things, everyone had the same goal to learn, grow and succeed,” said Barahona.