Become an education expert, learn the skills you will need to tackle our complex education questions.
For students who are interested in earning their master's degree in education, but who do not need New York teaching certification, the M.S. in Education offers six tracks:
- Early Education
- Secondary Education
- Students with Disabilities
Many charter or private schools require a master's degree only. Check with your local administrator to determine if your school requires certification.
In this program, students complete a thesis course, not student teaching and are also exempt from the New York State certification tests.
- Private school teacher
- Charter school teacher
- Early childhood administration
- Children’s publishing and media
- Children’s library or literacy services
- Educational policy, advocacy, and government
- Preparation for doctoral study
- Children’s museum directors
- Summer camps and youth sports leaders
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Charter school management or educational professional development services
The Mercy Advantage
- Strong relationships with elementary and secondary schools across New York City and Westchester
- Over 64,000 alumni network
- Online courses are available
- National accreditation by NCATE & CAEP
Individuals with at least a baccalaureate degree may seek this master's degree if they are interested in career advancement or employment in education-related fields.
- Official transcript - Bachelor's degree
- 3.00 GPA
Students must submit an Effective Educator Statement to complete their application. You can download requirements here.
Please submit the completed statement to your application portal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Because the degree does not lead to certification, it will not qualify you to teach in a public school setting in New York.
Coursework completed through this program could be used toward self-certification through New York's individual pathway if this option is available for the teaching endorsement being sought. However, it will not meet all academic requirements needed for certification and completion of this program alone will not make you eligible for teacher certification through the self-certification pathway.
The program meets the needs of Distance Learning students outside of New York State and students interested in careers in education, but not in teaching public school. Examples of such careers include early childhood administration, children's museum directors, summer camps and youth sports leaders, not-for-profit organizations, and charter school management or professional development services.
The program seeks to prepare professional education experts who are reflective, knowledgeable, empowered to serve diverse populations and communities, and are equipped with technological and research skills.
The goal of the program is to provide the necessary flexibility and range of options to develop professional educators with the understanding, strategies, and commitment to work in a variety of settings.
Program Details & Curriculum
Coursework includes a 9-credit foundation core. Students may then choose an 18-credit concentration in: Early Education, Secondary Education, or Literacy. A 3-credit capstone thesis course is required at the end of the program. The program includes elective choices allowing substantial focus on the individual's area of interest, and builds up to a creative yet practical, individualized research project.
Please note that this degree does not lead to New York State teaching certification.
- Required Courses: 9 Credits
- Courses in 1 of 3 Tracks: 18 Credits
- Final Course: 3 Credits
- Total: 30 Credits
- 2022-2023 M.S. Educational Studies
- 2021-2022 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track
- 2021-2022 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track (online)
- 2021-2022 M.S. Educational Studies - Literacy Track
- 2020-2021 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track
- 2020-2021 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track (online)
- 2020-2021 M.S. Educational Studies - Literacy Track
- 2019-2020 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track
- 2019-2020 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track (online)
- 2019-2020 M.S. Educational Studies - Literacy Track
- 2018-2019 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track
- 2018-2019 M.S. Educational Studies - Secondary Education Track (online)
- 2018-2019 M.S. Educational Studies - Literacy Track
- 2017-2018 M.S. Educational Studies - Early Education Track
- 2017-2018 M.S. Educational Studies - Literacy Track