Master of Science Adolescence Education Grades 7-12 36 Credits | School of Education | Bronx, Dobbs Ferry, Manhattan & Online
Adolescence Education, Grades 7 - 12 Overview
The 36-credit Master of Science in Secondary Education, Grades 7-12, leads to initial/ professional certification. Professional certification candidates must have completed three years of teaching in the area of the certificate.
This program has subject concentrations for:
- Social studies
Degree-seeking students in all Secondary Education programs must successfully complete the education capstone requirement specific to their degree program prior to degree conferral.
All candidates in Secondary Education are encouraged to join the national professional organization in their respective content fields.
Students can pursue careers as:
- High school teacher, grades 9–12
- Middle school teacher, grades 7–8
- English, mathematics, social studies or science teacher
- Positions in New York public & private schools
Job growth expected to
rise 4% through 2029*
*U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
For secondary school teachers
in New York is more than $85,000*.
Total Credits to Earn Your Degree
Courses in TESOL, educational psychology
and adolescent development, and educational
foundations for students with disabilities
What We Offer
The Mercy Advantage
In addition to the single certification, we offer a dual certification path:
- Adolescence Education, Grades 7–12 (English, social studies, mathematics and biology)
- Teaching Students with Disabilities
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get certified in Teaching Students with Disabilities?
Yes, in the following programs: Childhood Education, Grades 1-6; Early Childhood Education, Birth-Grade 2; Secondary Education, 7-12.
What education programs do you offer?
The School of Education offers a Master of Science in Education with a concentration in one of the following areas: Early Childhood Education, Birth-Grade 2; Childhood Education, Grades 1-6; Secondary Education, 7-12; Teaching Literacy, Birth-Grade 12; Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL); Educational Supervision; Educational Administration.
What are the graduation requirements?
Successful completion of coursework and other academic requirements.
Are there some frequently used links I might need during the application process?
Program Details & Curriculum
Master of Science in Secondary Education, Grades 7–12 Course Requirements 36 Credits
Master of Science in Secondary Education, Grades 7–12 Course Requirements for Dual Certification Candidates 45 Credits
By the end of this program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a solid content knowledge base that enables them to deliver effective educational and professional services based on current research, theory and practice
- Employ multiple pedagogical and professional strategies and tools to enable them to be effective practitioners in educational settings and deliver services that promote students’ intellectual, social, and emotional development
- Understand the diverse cultural, linguistic, learning, and social strengths and needs of all populations, and incorporate and demonstrate sensitivity to the richness of diverse cultures when providing educational and other school services
- Employ technology to deliver information, instruction, and professional services to all members of the school community
- Reflect on professional practice to make educational decisions and enhance student learning
- Demonstrate positive dispositions that enable them to work as effective educators, citizens, and practitioners within the school and broader community
Academic Sequence Maps
Download the academic sequence maps for:
- 2020-2021 M.S. Adolescence Education Biology SWD Grades 7-12 Initial
- 2020-2021 M.S. Adolescence Education Biology - Grades 7-12 Initial AISS
- 2020 - 2021 M.S, Adolescence Education (Secondary Education) Chemistry, Grades 7-12 - Initial
- 2020 - 2021 M.S. Adolescence Education Chemistry, Grades 7 - 12 - Initial - AIHS
- 2020-2021-MS Adolescence Education English SWD Grades 7-12 Initial AIED
- 2020-2021-MS Adolescence Education - English - Initial AIES
- 2020-2021-MS Adolescence Education Soc Studies SWD Initial
- 2020-2021-MS Adolescence Education - Social Studies Grades 7-12 Initial AIHS
- 2020-2021-MS Adolescence Education Mathematics SWD Grades 7-12, Initial
- 2020-2021-MS Adolescence Education Mathematics-Initial AIMS
- 2020 - 2021 M.S. Adolescence Education Physics, Grades 7 - 12 - Initial - AIPS